How to Tell What Kind of Malocclusion You Have (Part Two) - Specialist Orthodontic Group : Specialist Orthodontic Group
image description

Welcome to

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter

✓ Tasty recipe
✓ Latest blog posts
✓ Exclusive offers

How to Tell What Kind of Malocclusion You Have (Part Two)

Photo source

Are you hoping to identify what kind of malocclusion you have? If you haven’t already, take a look at How to Tell What Kind of Malocclusion You Have (Part One)to find out exactly what a malocclusion is and some of the common forms of malocclusion.

Could you have an overjet?

If your upper teeth protrude significantly over your bottom teeth, you may have an overjet. This is similar to an overbite, but in an overjet the top teeth protrude horizontally, not vertically. 

Could you have a diastema?

A diastema is the technical term for when there is a gap present between the two front teeth. This is common in children and in many cases the issue corrects itself when the adult teeth come in.

Could you have an impacted tooth?

When a tooth is described as impacted, it means that it hasn’t been able to emerge from the gum as expected. It may still be partly submerged in the gum, or it may have come out at an angle. 

Could you have spacing issues?

Spacing issues occur for a number of reasons. It may be because of a missing tooth or due to regular thumb sucking as a child. The result is big, uneven gaps between the teeth. 

Could you have an open bite?

In an open bite, the top teeth don’t overlap the bottom teeth. Instead, there is a gap between the upper and lower teeth. 

What should you do if you have any of these issues?

Whatever type of malocclusion you have, if you’d like to address it your orthodontist will be able to help. We are lucky to now have so many different types of orthodontic treatment programmes at our disposal. However big or small your malocclusion, we’ll be able to work together to find the ideal option for you.

Why not find your local Specialist Orthodontic Group practiceto get started?